first_img160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! REDWOOD CITY, Calif. – Disgraced Democratic fundraiser Norman Hsu was a wanted man again after he failed to show up for a court date Wednesday and a judge issued a new warrant for his arrest. Hsu, whose criminal past has roiled the campaigns of top presidential candidates, was scheduled to ask a judge to cut in half the $2 million bail he posted when he turned himself in last week after spending 15 years on the lam from a felony theft conviction. Instead, San Mateo Superior Court Judge Robert Foiles ordered Hsu’s bail forfeited to the county and issued a new arrest warrant. If Hsu is arrested again, he will be jailed without bail. Hsu, a Hong Kong native, was also supposed to turn over his passport Wednesday. His prominent Silicon Valley criminal defense attorney, Jim Brosnahan, said Hsu failed to give the passport to the legal team Monday. “Mr. Hsu is not here, and we do not know where Mr. Hsu is,” Brosnahan said outside court. Brosnahan said “there was some contact” with Hsu a few hours before the scheduled 9 a.m. court appearance, but he declined to say how the contact occurred or who talked with Hsu. Hsu pleaded no contest in 1991 to a felony count of grand theft, admitting that he’d defrauded investors of $1 million after falsely claiming to have contracts to purchase and sell latex gloves. He was facing up to three years in prison when he skipped town before his 1992 sentencing date. Prosecutors said they suspected that Hsu fled the country then. But a few years ago, he re-emerged in New York as an apparel executive and a wealthy benefactor of Democratic causes and candidates. Among them was Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, whose presidential campaign designated Hsu a “HillRaiser” – a title given to top donors. Presidential contender Barack Obama also received contributions from Hsu for his 2004 Senate campaign. Brosnahan said he didn’t know whether Hsu returned to his Manhattan condominium or stayed in California after his five-hour jail stint Friday when Hsu turned himself in.last_img read more